Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Seborrheic dermatitis

It has only been a few years since I have been diagnosed as having seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear; is thought to be due to a combination of an over production of skin oil and irritation from a yeast called malassezia. (Source)

 I developed it in the worst places possible, my face, ears, and scalp. I was given an anti-itch cream for my face, and and a shampoo for my scalp. The dermatologist recommended that I washed my hair atleast once a week, but I didn't really listen. I honestly hated facing my hair when it had to be undone to get washed. My shrinkage was HORRID! After relocating, I again visited the dermatologist and was instructed to use a shampoo designed for said problem. The shampoo only worked for a short amount of time after use and I was constantly at a loss of what to do. It wasn't until late last year when I was introduced to the wonders of apple cider vinegar. With consistent use, and regular use of coconut oil on my scalp, I have noticed that the condition of my scalp has improved dramatically. I didn't truly appreciate the difference until I neglected to do an acv rinse for a couple wash days.  Note to self: consistency is key.

Ladies, don't underestimate the acv rinse.

With regards to my face, I have noticed that it starts becoming scaly whenever I become stressed for some reason, so I try to avoid stress as much as I can. Another thing that has helped is constantly cleaning my face with alcohol (can be drying so be careful), and exfoliating regularly (sometimes lol).

Anyone has this issue? What have you done to help combat it?


Belle Moi
  

No comments:

Post a Comment