Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Iron-deficiency and you

According to the MayoClinic, iron deficiency is a condition in which blood lacks adequate healthy red blood cells; which carry oxygen to the body's tissues. In some cases, the deficiency goes unnoticed at first due to how mild it is. Some of the symptoms include:
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Weakness
  •  Headache
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Brittle nails
 The main cause of iron deficiency in some women are due to blood loss from heavy menstruation. A lack of iron in one's diet is also a big culprit. To see a more in-depth view, visit
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia/DS00323

What does iron deficiency have to do with hair care?

According to the American Society of Hematology,  Iron is very important in maintaining many body functions, including the production of hemoglobin, the molecule in your blood that carries oxygen. Iron is also necessary to maintain healthy cells, skin, hair, and nails. The site then goes on to list hair loss as one of the symptoms.

My experience: Although I have not witnessed an excessive amount of hair loss from my head, there have been times when my eye lashes shed excessively. This gave me pause to think, if this is what's happening to my eye lashes, what impact does it have on the hair on my head?
Food for thought, no?

Speaking of food, consumption of the following should help to increase your iron intake:
  • Meat: beef, pork, or lamb, especially organ meats such as liver
  • Poultry: chicken, turkey, and duck, especially liver and dark meat
  • Fish, especially shellfish, sardines, and anchovies
  • Leafy green members of the cabbage family including broccoli, kale, turnip greens, and collard greens
  • Legumes, including lima beans, peas, pinto beans, and black-eyed peas
  • Iron-enriched pastas, grains, rice, and cereals
Reading, and re-reading the above list, the following comes to mind "I eat fish and peas at least once a week, chicken most nights; I eat my veggies (maybe not the way I'm supposed to, but I eat them), so why are my levels consistently low? I'm going to assume that the answers are consistency and amount, as in how good is MY diet at providing the necessary amount of iron? 

With all that being said, the game plan is to get my levels up so I can start feeling less like a zombie.

Anyone else going or went through this experience? How did you or how are you coping with it?


Belle Moi


No comments:

Post a Comment